Although used for dry storage in the 18th century, the basement has been used for many other purposes in the 20th century, including offices, the archaeology lab, telephone systems, and fire & burglar alarms. The basement has been restored to its 1775 appearance and is used as an interpretable space on house tours. The basement contains four rooms. There is an exterior entrance to the Northeast Room (across from the kitchen dependency) and an interior entrance to the Southwest Room from the Side Passage.
- Northwest Room - 19'-7" x 17'-3" = 338 sq. ft.
- Northeast Room - 28'-1¼" x 18'-6" = 520 sq. ft.
- Southeast Room - 19'-7¾" x 18'-7" = 365 sq. ft.
- Southwest Room - 28'-2" x 17'-2¼" = 484 sq. ft.
- Total = 1707 sq. ft.
The thumbnail images below provide links to larger images and descriptive text.
SW Room Stairs