1500 Washington Avenue, Fredericksburg, VA
The present-day monumentMary Ball Washington, mother of George Washington and Betty Washington Lewis, was buried beside "Meditation Rock," an outcropping near her daughter's house, in 1789. In the early 19th century, the Gordon family (who gave "Kenmore" its name) established their family burying ground near there as well.
An early design for the monument In 1833, President Andrew Jackson dedicated the first monument to the "Mother of Washington." That monument, never completed, lay derelict and in pieces for almost sixty years. It was removed in 1893 when the cornerstone for the present monument was laid and dedicated by President Grover Cleveland in 1894.
Copyright ©2012 - The George Washington Foundation
All Rights Reserved
Last Updated: January 3, 2012