Silver Cruet Stand
Silver, glass ca. 1750
Gift from Mrs. John Steck, Jr., 1991 The cartouche on this Georgian cruet stand is engraved with the arms of the Lewis family and belonged to Warner Lewis, brother of Colonel Fielding Lewis.
Cruet stands provided an elegant way to serve condiments such as sugar, vinegar, pepper, and other exotic spices at table. This cruet follows the classic so-called "Warwick" form, with a cinquefoil tray with bracketed, shell-shaped feet supporting two casters (shakers) and three cut-glass bottles with silver mounts.The central, vertical post has a scroll ring handle.